CANTON, Georgia. In Texas, a person died after encountering an amoeba in a water park that, according to Wired, kills pretty much every person who is infected. The illness is known as the brain-eating amoeba, and by its scientific name Naegleria fowleri. According to WebMD, the man died after visiting a surf water park in Texas.
Who is at risk of encountering this pathogen? According to WebMD, the amoeba generally infects people when it enters the body through the nose. The Centers for Disease Control is currently investigating the situation, taking water samples from the park’s water sources, and looking at the park’s filtration systems.
The amoeba is most prevalent in freshwater lakes, hot springs, and rivers. Could Georgia’s inland waterways, water parks, and pools be at risk? The amoeba doesn’t like cold water, but rather favors warmer bodies of water that can be found in southern states, like Georgia. With climate change leading to longer summers, and shorter winters, the breeding period of the amoeba may be longer in coming years, meaning that we could potentially see more cases. Yet, despite this alarming fact, it is important to remember that brain-eating amoeba infections are exceedingly rare. There have only been 143 cases so far.
According to Wired, Georgia has seen a few cases of brain eating amoeba. It has been reported in water systems, water parks, lakes, and rivers. How can people in Georgia reduce their risk? Swimming in water known to have the amoeba generally doesn’t involve contagion. The danger arises when the water enters the nose. Public officials are also looking at ways to more readily monitor water to determine whether the amoeba is present. Scientists are also working to find ways to treat the disease using medicine.
However, until a sound treatment is found, water parks and other private facilities that have swimming pools have a responsibility to properly treat and filter their water systems. According to Wired, properly treated water should have no presence of the amoeba. This places a greater deal of responsibility on recreation centers, water parks, and facilities to properly ensure the safety of their water systems. The man who was infected with the amoeba had been surfing at a private surf water park, which has led investigators to question its practices and investigate its water filtration mechanisms.
The reality is that brain-eating amoeba is very rare. You’re more at risk of drowning or dying in a car accident, or for that matter, dying in a limousine (given the recent questions on limo safety after a recent tragic accident in upstate New York). If you’ve been hurt in a car accident or have suffered another injury due to another person’s neglect or negligence, reach out to Imbriale Injury Law in Canton, Georgia. Our personal injury attorneys can take the time to review your case and fight for justice. Visit us at https://imbrialeinjury.com/ to learn more.
Imbriale Injury Law
145 Towne Lake Pkwy, Ste 200
Woodstock Ga 30188