CANTON, Georgia. According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, 28.7 million people admitted to driving while under the influence. Not all of these drivers will be stopped or arrested by the police. There simply are not enough resources to catch them all. Unfortunately, the holiday season is a time when more people might be tempted to drink and drive. There are holiday parties, work parties, and other celebrations where alcohol is consumed. Individuals may not always plan how they will get home. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 300 people have died in drunk driving crashes over the past five years between the Christmas and New Year’s season.
This holiday season, the best way to stay safe is to avoid drinking and driving. Plan to use a rideshare company or have a designated driver. Unfortunately, the people most likely to be hurt in drunk driving accidents are sober drivers who are struck by drivers who made the decision to get behind the wheel drunk.
If you are driving this holiday season, you might wonder how you can keep your family safe from drunk drivers. Here are some tips:
- Avoid driving later at night. Drunk drivers are more likely to be on the road later at night. So, avoid city driving during these times.
- Buckle up. Wearing your seat belt can protect you if you do happen to be in a crash. Children should be in the appropriate car safety seats for their age.
- Obey speed limits. Speed kills. Obey the speed limit and the rules of the road.
- Watch for drivers without their headlights on. One sure sign of a drunk driver is a driver without his or her headlights on. If you see cars without headlights on the road, give them space.
- Watch for sudden braking, swerving, or weaving. Another sign that a driver may be drunk is when the vehicle stops suddenly, or when a driver is swerving or weaving in his or her lane. If you notice a driver behaving in this manner, give the vehicle space. If you can take down the car’s license plate number, you can also file a police report—but don’t try to do this while you are driving!
- Slow driving. Driving too slow can also be a sign that a driver is drunk. Drinking affects a person’s decision-making abilities. Drivers may compensate for this by driving too slowly.
These are just some of the signs that indicate that drivers may be drunk, and just some of the things you can do to protect yourself and your family. If you have been hurt by a drunk driver in Canton, Georgia, consider speaking to Imbriale Injury Law, a DUI accident lawyer near you. You may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim for your injuries and loses. Imbriale Injury Law can review the details of your case and fight to help you get the best possible settlement permitted under the law.
Imbriale Injury Law
145 Towne Lake Pkwy, Ste 200
Woodstock Ga 30188